Representative visa of an overseas business in UK

A representative of an overseas business can come to UK and setup office if the representative comes from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland.


A representative must apply from outside EEA.

A representative must have sufficient fund to support himself or family without help from public funds.

A representative pass English test.

Other requirements

A representative must be recruited and employed outside the UK by the principal company.

A representative must have related industry experience and knowledge.

A representative must hold senior position for the company (but cannot be a major shareholder) and have full authority to make decisions for the company.

A representative must have a clear instruction from the principal company to establish the company commercial presence in the UK.

How long a representative can stay ?

A representative can come to UK for an initial period of 3 years; after that he can extend for 2 more years; after 5 years, he can apply for permission to settle permanently in the UK.

What a representative can do ?

work for his employer in full time basis;

bring his family to UK;

What a representative cannot do ?

work for himself or other business;

get public fnds.

Documents requirements

A current passport

Evidence to support himself or family

English test report

TB rest report

Note: a certified translation is required if all documents are not stated in English.